Holistic vets have been sending us some interesting reports about the benefits of CBDoil for dogs in their care …
A senior Staffordshire Terrier had a 6cm mammary tumor and metastasis that disappeared in 3 months and didn’t come back …
A Jack Russell Terrier had a severe heart murmur and painful arthritis and, after a month, he wanted to go for long walks and his murmur was much improved …
These are two examples of from Australian vet Edward Bassingthwaighte. “I simply can’t explain the improved heart murmur ” says Bassingthwaite. “They normally don’t get better.”
Related: How Cannabis Can Help Your Dog
CBDOil For Dogs: What You Might Not Know
The results seem to be in … researchers are turning their attention to this herb. So far, they’re finding there’s lots to like. And just as CBDhas helped humans, your dog can reap the same health-boosting benefits.
Let’s look at the 10 things you might not know about this often misunderstood herb and the research that shows its promise in helping dogs with a variety of common health issues …
1. CBDIs Not Psychoactive
CBD(cannabidiol) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis. It’s this compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBDoils are just that … the beneficial CBDwithout the THC. And they typically come from hemp, not marijuana. In short, your dog won’t get “high” from CBDoil … he’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.
And speaking of relaxation …
2. CBDOil Reduces Anxiety
Does your dog suffer from separation anxiety or noise phobias? CBDhas been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans, research shows it can:
- Reduce anxiety caused by public speaking
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and people with anxiety disorders
- Be effective for panic disorders and post-traumatic stress disorders
3. CBDCan Fight Cancer
- Helps the immune system’s killer cells to cause cancer cell death
- Kills cancer cells by blocking their ability to produce energy
- Has anti-tumor properties that slow and inhibit glioma cell growth
- Can help increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatment
4. CBDCan Treat Seizures And Epilepsy
Estimates suggest that up to 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most dogs with seizures are given drugs such as phenobarbital and potassium bromide. Sure, these drugs may help control the seizures. But they can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other organs. And the drugs don’t work in all cases.
In another study, 84% of children with drug-resistant epilepsy had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
5. CBDRelieves Pain
The cannabinoids in CBDhave also been shown to work well for pain. So well, in fact, that scientists are considering it as a new class of drug for the treatment of chronic pain. Studies show CBDto be very effective for reducing:
- Pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- The impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- General inflammation
- Inntestinal inflammation (associated with irritable bowel disease)
6. CBDCan Help With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
7. CBDReduces Chronic Inflammation And Autoimmune Disease
CBDhas been shown to decrease the production and release of inflammatory cytokines. These can cause allergies, hypersensitivities and autoimmunity. It can also suppress something called Th17 dominance, a major cause of autoimmune diseases.
8. CBDCan Protect The Nervous System And Help With Neurodegenerative Diseases
CBDshows a lot of promise for degenerative myelopathy and other spine and nerve issues. It’s also been shown to help patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimer’sand Parkinson’s disease. This is thanks to its ability to protect the brain cells from toxicity.
9. CBDIncreases Appetite And Helps With Nausea
10. CBDPromotes Cardiovascular Health
Just as veterinarian Dr Bassingthwaighte discovered, CBDhas been linked to heart health. Studies show it can:
- reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates
- protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries
- reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety
Bonus: CBDOil For Dogs Is Legal And Safe
It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs. So if your dog is on medication, you might want to check with your holistic vet before using CBD.
The bottom line is, CBDoil could be a healthy (or even life-saving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and holistic vets are drawn to its diverse health benefits. And they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals don’t appear to build up a tolerance.
Choosing A Good CBDOil For Your Dog
- Make sure the product is organic: If it isn’t organic, your CBDoil contains pesticides, fungicides or solvents.
- Don’t cheap out: The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. Don’t price shop … make sure your CBDoil is free of additives and has a good amount of CBD.
- Get the analysis: Ask for a lab analysis of the amount of CBDin the product. Many CBDoils contain only small amounts of CBD. The manufacturer should provide a certificate of analysis. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBDas a tincture: You can buy CBDin treats but the best form is in a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop to make sure he gets the most benefit.
Start your dog off slowly but don’t let the naysayers tell you CBDisn’t a good option for your dog … the research is continuing and the results are very promising.